Monday, June 23, 2008

This morning I realized that I am only five weeks out from my departure date. I need to keep up the intensity of the preparations I have begun.

One area I have been focusing on is the length of my sirsasana (head balance). In India, they expect you to have 8-10 minute head balance. I have been working on my head balance almost every day and can easily do 8 minutes, but 10 minutes is still a challenge. Staying in sirsasana for 10 minutes is certainly a physical challenge, but it is also a mental challenge. My mind tries to convince me that I need to come down because my limit has been reached, but if I focus on the breath for a few moments, the feeling often passes. For those of you working on poses that are difficult for you try this! See if you can stay a few more breaths, and then perhaps you can stay for a few more.

1 comment:

Theyoginme said...

I found another suggestion you made in one of the advanced classes to be quite useful as well. We released the knees, re-extended the legs and joined the feet. It helped to be in the pose longer. For out of balance folks like me, it helped maintain the balance. I think that was the first time I was able to do Sirsana for 5 mins (I recall all posses were long poses in that class) and that to mostly balancing near the wall.