Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Random thoughts

I have uploaded many pictures to Sunset Yoga Center's Facebook page. Go check it out!

Today is a holiday and many people have the day off. I know I don't have this quite right, but today is "brother and sister" holiday where the brother pledges to take care of the sister for the rest of her life. Gulnaz's brother explained that there many, many holidays here. I think he said over 100 a year!

We had a lovely lunch at Gulnaz's home. She invited Chris Beach, Karen and I over and fed us wonderful food.

I was reminded today of how wasteful we can be with energy and how being practical is more important than keeping up appearances here. Karen and I found a shop that Care and Karin told us about. It looked like it was closed because all of the lights were out, and no one was visible. As soon as we entered two young women came from the back of the store and turned on all the lights and welcomed us. Once we left they turned out all the lights! Not something you would see in the US.

The power outages that were so frequent on my first trip are much more intermittent on this trip. We have blackouts on Thursday afternoons, instead of every morning. Our building is equipped with a generator so the refrigerator and a few lights work, but last Thursday we forgot and the washing machine turned off mid-cycle. We had to wait four hours for the power to return and the washer to resume its duties.

Class with Gulnaz today was more backbends.

No comments: