Thursday, August 21, 2008

Obsevering Classes

Today I watched the medical class. Each participant has been given an individualized yoga “prescription” to work with their medical issue. These classes are chaotic, not at all like a led class.
Some participants need three assistants to help them set up their yoga props correctly and then to apply leverage, weight or pressure in the right spots. Family members are often present learning how to set up the props for home practice. Both Geeta and Guruji are often present riding herd on the assistants, getting everything just right.
It was heartbreaking to see some of the conditions that are being endured. One woman had an lower back curve so severe it looked like she would break in half. There was an elderly man being helped by his wife who could barely walk and looked frail and unresponsive. There was a little girl whose legs looked permanently turned to the side and some others who were obviously victims of vehicle accidents. There were also many for whom I could not tell what the issue was. But each person was given personal attention and urged to work hard. I am grateful for my good health after seeing what there people are living with.
I have watched several beginning and intermediate classes as well. The beginning classes are one hour, the intermediate classes are 1.5 hours, and the “advanced” classes I attend are 2 hours. These classes are (for the most part) quick paced and demanding. Also, the teachers seem to be using minimal props in the classes. I picked up some good ideas from observing the classes and will watch a few more before I leave.

Bill - thanks for letting me know about Mary's new post. Karen and I are thinking about her everyday. Katherine, I am atonished at how I lost my backbending ability. I guess taking care of two kids in my 20's and actuarial exams will do that do a person. I am slowing making headway and hope to be able to do "drop backs" soon.
to all those who I don't know who have stumbled on my blog and find it useful - I had no idea that I would reach people in this way. How cool!

2 comments:

Theyoginme said...

Nina, will they let you help out in the medical class or is that offered only who are certified to do yoga therapy?

I know my blog post on restorative yoga poses for knee pain is responsible to send at least one over to you. I had discussed your blog in that post and one person confirmed the other day that they are regularly reading your blog through the link I had posted on mine.

You're getting people because of relevent keyword searches that match content in your blog on google and the power of cross-linking in content in sites like mine and your own sunset yoga website.

Leonor Castilho - Iyengar Yoga said...

Another very good post.
Thanks from Portugal.