Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Power Out and a New Friend

First - thanks for all the great posts! I loved reading them! I was a little homesick when I opened my blog, and knowing you are all reading it made me feel better.

Power outages seem to be a fact of life here. I asked our host, Sanjeev what was going on. He said that the monsoon rains have been light this year, creating power shortages. So they have to initiate rolling power outages around the city. So far today, the regular power has gone out twice. Luckily for us, our building has a back up generator, so when the regular power goes out we can still have lights, computers, and refrigeration. But no hot water, we have discovered.

Last night Glennis - a women from England (and Karen's roommate from two years ago) came home with us after class to write down "yoga notes". Yoga notes are what us yoga nerds do after each class - writing down the sequence and then filling in detail about what was taught. Glennis is a hoot! She regaled us with stories of her travels and with her accent I felt like I was sitting next to Eliza Doolittle.

The class last night was taught by Chandra, and was a very good class. We learned an interesting new way to do headstand as well as some standing pose variations.

We have our first class with Prashant tonight. Prashant is Mr. Iyengar's son. I have heard his classes are really interesting so I am looking forward to it.

Personal notes:
Good luck Catie, let me know how it goes. Thanks for the info Bill, we will try again. Kathleen from Thursday night class - thanks again for the lavender/rosemary soap you gave me. I brought it along and it smell lovely.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Nina,
Let's see.... Sanjeev.... Is that the fourth floor?
Can't wait to hear how Prashant's class goes!
If you haven't read it already there is a new and upbeat post from Mary on her blog.
Bill M.

Anonymous said...

Nina, I'm having such fun reading about your adventures. Brings back lots of memories. Please also tell Nana hi for me.

Terry P.

mariclair said...

It made me smile when you talked about Glennis. She is my yoga teacher in London. Small world truly! She is a fantastic teacher and makes us laugh in class all the time while pushing us hard too. You sound like you have settled in really quickly. Enjoy!
Marion, London

ayamlin said...

Hello!
I'm Aya, I'm a Japanese woman.
I found your blog by coincidence.
I'm really interested in yoga.
I usually jog but I don't stretch at all.
I wish I lived near your studio!
By the way portland is in US?

jacnan said...

Hi Nina,

Jack & I are enjoying your blog. Went to class today and Bud did restoratives! Love, Z