Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sounds of India and More

One of the hardest things to get used to is the cacophony of sound. The typical day begins with the din of thousands of birds at daybreak. I don't know how anyone could sleep through it! Then the rickshaws, motorcycles, cars, buses and truck begin hitting the streets and the honking begins. Honking seems to be the preferred way of letting another vehicle know that you are going to pass them. So the honking isn't in anger, but more of a courtesy. Still, it can grate on the nerves after listening to it all day! Of course, all of these vehicles also have loud motors, and there are so many of them. Another sound in the mix is the generator - this morning the electricity failed, and they fired up the generator to get things back up and running.

Another noise I have had to get used to is the elevator in our flat. Not the sound of the elevator traveling up and down, but the song the elevator plays. That's right - the elevator plays a musical number, in our case "Fur Elise". It goes on all day and night, like a cell phone that a inconsiderate person never turns off.

Now a comment about the students at the Institute. Us Americans are out numbered. There are Indian students of course, but there are also Greeks, Spaniards, Italians, Canadians, Belgians, Chinese, Polish, German, Russian, French, English and Irish students! And also one women from Iran. I am sure there are other countries represented, as these are the students I have encountered in the first two days of classes. I look forward to getting to know some of these people from around the world.

My second class was great and I was much less intimidated. Today is a day off and we indulged in some shopping.

If you would like to post me a message, please do, I would love to hear from you!

6 comments:

Theyoginme said...

Nina, I feel like the lone voice of comments on your blog....where is the rest of sunset yoga - asleep????

I laughed as I read this one - especially the elevator music. There will be more music, you will be music'ed out, especially by the beats of Bollywood disco/rock/indian fusion. Sometimes I wonder if noise pollution in India is the bigger culprit and you can experience it in classes as well with teachers yelling....

I am glad you are no longer intimited by the classes - hey we are cut from the same piece of cloth.

I love the bird chirps though. Try going for a walk at 6 am in the park and observe the group of seniors do they morning exercises, including laughing yoga at the end. The 7 pm Human Chalisa chanting at the Hanuman Mandir accross the street from the Shahanis (its the house next to the park) is uplifting.

You are in holistic heaven and I hope you are enjoying every minute of it. I fly out tonight - I am enjoying the arabian see in Mumbai.

Nitin

Theyoginme said...

pardon my spelling and gramatical errors. Too much energy from back bends today...

Unknown said...

Hi Nina,
I am reading your blog and vicariously enjoying Pune through your words.
If you see my friend Nana please say hello.
Bill M.

Dad said...

Hi, Nina

Glad you made it ok, although I was amazed at the 48 hours!


I did a Google Earth check of Pune and saw it was really quite large, so the city life is going to be intrusive. But you will get used to it, like you will have to get used to the relative silence when you return!

I love your writing! It is so descriptive and alive, especially about your traveling nerves! I never realized it was so acute.

Enjoy, and learn.

Love,

Dad

Becky35 said...

Hi Nina!

Your trip sounds exhilarating and exhausting at the same time. With all that noise it is no wonder yoga originated there... :) They needed the serenity!
I can only imagine trying to take it all in. I suppose, in the end, you just have to absorb what you will and whatever didn't stick wasn't necessary for you.
I hope you learn some new "tricks" for our shoulders, though I am pleased with my progress.
It's good to hear you are doing well. I look forward to hearing your tales!!

Peace~ Becky W.

mariclair said...

I stumbled across your blog looking for information on Pune. I have a date to go to the institute which is ages off but I am already starting to feel a bit nervous (as well as excited) about it.

Your posts are really a perfect way for me to get a feel of what it is like to be there so thank you and I look forward to more sharing of your experiences. Marion, UK