Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Shoulders and Twists

Shoulders and Twists

Yesterday two people helped me with my “unintelligent” shoulders. First Glennis (rhymes with menace, according to her) saw me in Savasana (relaxation pose for you non yoga readers). She looked down at me and said “Would you like some help with your shoulders”? She gave me a great adjustment, so that my chest felt opened and I could relax. Thanks Glennis!
The evening class with Geeta was intense. Geeta was focused like a Olympic coach, intent on helping us to “reach the remote edges of the abdomen” in seated twisting poses. First she got us heated up with handstands, forearm balance, and a long stay in headstand with variations. Then we worked so relentlessly in the twists that my legs were slippery with sweat. To end class we worked on the twisting variations of sarvangasana (shoulderstand). This is where I got my second adjustment. I was near the front and I heard Geeta say “you in the blue tee-shirt, take your shoulder back”. I knew she was talking to me because things weren't going so well in my pose. Next thing I knew there she was next to me. She adjusted my arms, legs, head and hips so quickly I am not sure what she did. But I understood now what she was trying to make me do with my shoulders. After class I thanked her and she simply nodded her head in reply.

Lost in Translation

Having a flatmate from Spain has been great. He reminds us of Mandy Patinkin's character in The Princess Bride (Inigo Montoya) in his gentle, polite demeanor. Oscar was telling us how he felt lucky to have scored such a great living arrangement. (we heard about a couple of people who didn't have water for two days). He said “I have the luck of the newbie”. Karen figured out he meant beginner's luck!

Thanks for your posts, keep them coming! Nitin, I will get the things you asked for.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Nina,
I couldn't sleep so I got up to see if I had any exciting new emails to read and there was an email from Sunset Yoga and I remembered about your blog! I am happy to read that you are having a grand time and learning a lot. Thanks for the blog!

Diana

Unknown said...

loved your reference to Montoya. Hopefully there are no six-fingered men in class. Did u know that a 49-yr-old women competed in the cycling endurance road race? Is that cool or what. What's the average age in your classes?? I'm imagining our age, but that might be totally wrong???

Crimson Bear said...

Ninap,

My earlier comments were evidently disallowed by The Blogger. (I refuse to believe that you censored them yourself.)

I'm wondering where DCH would fit on the GAS (Guruji Anxiety Scale.) I figure that he would have a high GAS coefficient.

I empathize with your dread of running out of chocolate. Hopefully you have been able to find a source.

Sounds like you are having an intense and rewarding experience! Can't wait to hear more of your stories when you return to the land where you can readily get chocolate.

Oh, and never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

E.

Tom said...

Catie applied to a couple more jobs hopefully she'll get a couple more interviews. I personnaly find it "inconcievable" that she doesn't have a job yet.

Tena said...

Nina,
Thanks for sharing your experiences! I love having ropes in the studio and look forward to learning lots more about how to use them. I had a similar rickshaw experience to yours, where the driver kept stopping to ask directions, but in my case I did actually end up where I wanted. Another time a driver made me get off his rickshaw and get on his friend's rickshaw; I was really suspicious about this but it turned out that his rickshaw wasn't running reliably and I was going kindof far, so he wanted me to go on a safer rickshaw. Another place to look for chocolate is in the gift shop of the most expensive, western-style hotel you can find. Keep us posted!
-- Tena

barbsteif said...

Dear Nina,
Tonight is the first time I've read your blog! (Just too busy with work, teaching, and a little bit of travel). It's so good to hear about how you are enjoying classes and the people. Please tell Nana that I send him my very best! Also the same for Sunita. (She may remember that I talked with her about stroke treatment...) Your words evoke my first trip, and I can almost taste and touch the next one! The Saturday class is going well, and I'm really enjoying the group. We mention you every week and others are reading your blog too. I'm eager to be in touch with Pune through your teaching when you return!
Have you met Jeff Logan and his wife Te? Please tell them hello from me. (He's from Long Island, Ann McDermott's teacher and friend...)
Geetaji's adjustments are so powerful...lucky you!
I'll write again. Hello to Karen.
Best to you,
Barb