Sunday, August 10, 2008

Puja and another Geeta

Last night our hosts, Sanjeev and Sush Ama invited us to a family event. The family had earlier in the day held a puja (a religious ritual). In the evening was an informal get-together and we were invited to go up to the 7th floor and have some food, desserts and social time.

We met in-laws, nieces, nephews, mothers aunts and uncles. Sush Ama's mother is bedridden but we brought to her room to be introduced and to chat. Even though she was obviously in pain, she had a beautiful smile and told us how Pune used to be.

Today we went to a private residence for an amazing shopping afternoon. We were picked up by car (a big deal after riding in rickshaws for two weeks) by Geeta's husband Sunder. And then we were met at the door by Geeta herself, and even though I hadn't yet met her she hugged me in welcome. We were treated to lunch of mixed veggies, a squash dish, Indian bread and paratha (potato dumplings). It was the best meal we have had since we arrived! Geeta's house was beautiful and quiet. We met her grandsons, daughter and son-in-law.

Then the shopping began. We walked to the back of her yard to a converted garage. This is where Geeta displays all of her wares from her travels around India. Geeta brought us chai tea, which we sipped as we opened drawers, unfolded scarves, and dug through piles of purses. Everything in the store was beautiful and we soon had picked out many gifts - as well as some treasures for ourselves. Ladies of my family, expect gifts! (sorry guys). Geeta gave both us us a gift of a cotton purse/backpack to nicely package what we had selected. She personally drove us home as well, and invited us back for another meal.

I am almost out of dark chocolate and I don't know how I will cope for two weeks. Julie - you were right I needed to bring more!

Finally, Geeta's women's class yesterday was strenuous and informing. We did janu sirsasana (a seated forward bend) five times and I left the class feeling good. Both Karen and I were grateful to sleep in this morning to the sound of monsoon rains.

Personal notes: Catie, thanks for the post and let me know how things go.

6 comments:

Theyoginme said...

Nina try the Food Bazaar up on the 6th floor at Pune Central Mall for chocolates. I remember seeing a whole section. Its accross the street from RIMYI on the right.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nina - I just returned to Portland after a short vacation and thought I would indulge myself for a few more hours and read your blog. What a wonderful adventure! Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us - I feel like I am there.

Unknown said...

Andrew had to show me how to leave comments here. I've never actually posted anything to someone else's blog. Sorry you are out of choclate!!! How will you cope??? I know what I'm getting you for your bday now. I hate morning birds depriving me of sleep too. Sorry to hear about all the squawking and car sounds. Reminds me of living in downtown PDX. It's the same the world over. We've been watching the Olympics. Do you have any tv there, or is that utterly non-yogic? We have two new cats (we had to put our first one down while you were gone.) I named the all-black one Batman! :-) The other is Sunflower. Having cats reminds me of spending time with you, the only person who has seriously exposed me to cats in this lifetime. Sounds like you are having an amazing time. Can't wait to see pics and hear the in-person report. I saw Lisa VanHorn in Colorado Springs a couple weeks ago. Twenty-six years later, she is still an incredible friend. We watched Batman in the IMAX, WOW!! Hence the cat's name! :-D See you in about three weeks!!!

karin said...

Hi Nina,

I just got a chance to take a look at all your posts. Great stuff. It sounds like you are having a wonderful, enriching experience. Thanks for keeping us all updated.

Dan and I just got back from a backpacking trip with David Taylor in the Opal Creek/Bull of the Woods area. The weather was great (except for the last day) and the scenery was beautiful.

Tomorrow, I start the Anatomy course at Julie G's. I'm looking forward to it.

I can't wait to read about your next adventures.

Take care,
Karin

Unknown said...

Nina-

A trip to Geeta's is a wonderful thing; great food. It's nice to see another side of India--a quiet neighborhood.

A sad thing no dark chocolate! I took more than I thought I would eat, but ate it all before the trip home. On the way home, I was glad to stop in Frankfrut, where good chocolate could be found to see me through the rest of my journey.

If you haven't been to the German Bakery yet, take a trip out that way. It's a bit of a rickshaw ride, but there is also some nice shopping in the area as well as beautiful gardens at the Osho complex.

There is also Dorabjees--a western style supermarket near MG Road. I found it a fascinating shopping experience. I'm sure you can find yourself some treats there too (expensive though).

Wishing you the best,
tonya

Unknown said...

Hi Nina,
Sounds like you are settled! If you see Geeta Bhojwani again please give her and Sundar my best. They are so nice.
Bill M.